News & Updates
January 8/19 — Anxiety pills that promise so much leave behind a hidden 'epidemic.'. Addiction experts say misuse of benzodiazepines leaves older people hooked, teens high.
October 2/18 — Antidepressant withdrawal symptoms severe, says new report. Existing guidance that symptoms are minimal leads to misdiagnosis and ‘harmful long-term prescribing.’
PharmaMyths.net is a blog by Donald W. Light exposing pharmaceutical myths.
September 20/18 — B.C. advocate questions why undiagnosed seniors getting antipsychotics.
September 9/18 — FDA repays industry by rushing risky drugs to market.
As pharma companies underwrite three-fourths of the FDA's budget for scientific reviews, the agency is increasingly fast-tracking expensive drugs with significant side effects and unproven health benefits.
July 19/18 — Big Pharma is quietly using nonprofits to push opioids.
July 3/18 — New from CADEN on the risks of polypharmacy (PDF–2.05 MB).
Are you worried about the medications older family members are taking? Common adverse effects can include problems with memory, over-sedation, confusion, dizziness, balance problems, increased falling or behaviour that is unusual.
Older stories are archived on the Older Stories page.
Read our disclaimer:
- PMAG does not provide individual advice or respond to individual requests for assistance.
- We encourage you to seek qualified medical support.
Antidepressants in Children and Adolescents
Our Children at Risk
There is increasing use of higher potency drugs prescribed to our children than ever before. These drugs have serious side effects which can be misinterpreted by the family or doctor.
This site has two related articles:
- One social worker has voiced her concern in this statement: Increasingly potent psychiatric drugs prescribed to children in Canada.
- Read about Citalopram (Celexa) in children and adolescents for depression: What we knew and when.
Antidepressants and Violence
Navy-yard Shooter Aaron Alexis's past fell just short of raising alarm.
- Aaron Alexis was on the antidepressant Trazodone at the time of the shootings.
- The timelines and his calm, organized behaviour are well aligned with someone experiencing an antidepressant-induced psychotic episode:
- Aug 23 — prescribed Trazodone for insomnia.
- Aug 28 — still not sleeping, dosage increased.
- Sept 14 — practiced shooting with shotgun and purchased shotgun.
- Sept 16 — shooting.
- The FDA has several reports on the connection between Trazodone and homicide.
See the violence category at RxISK.org.
SSRI Stories has 5000+ news articles documenting antidepressant-induced violence and bizarre behavior.
Updated: January 8, 2019