News & Updates
July 19/18 — Big Pharma is quietly using nonprofits to push opioids.
July 3/18 — New from CADEN on the risks of polypharmacy (PDF–2.05 MB).
Are you worried about the medications older family members are taking? Common adverse effects can include problems with memory, over-sedation, confusion, dizziness, balance problems, increased falling or behaviour that is unusual.
June 20/18 — SSRI and SNRI withdrawal symptoms reported on an Internet forum (PDF–53 KB).
In this cross-sectional US population-based survey study conducted between 2005 and 2014, the estimated overall prevalence of US adults using medications with depression as a potential adverse effect was 37.2%. The adjusted percentage of adults with concurrent depression was higher among those using more concurrent medications (eg, estimated 15% for =3 medications).
June 13/18 — We need new ways of treating depression.
May 18/18 — Video: Improve your sleep without drugs.
Improve Your Sleep Many people take drugs because of insomnia. This University of Alabama Sleep Research Project video discusses the common causes of insomnia and the drug-free steps you can take to improve your sleep habits. Related brochure summarizes the recommendations (PDF).
April 21/18 — Many people taking antidepressants discover they cannot quit.
April 9/18 — Can't sleep? Tell yourself it's not a big deal.
March 19/18 — A quiet drug problem among the elderly.
Way too many older Americans are getting benzos. And of those, many — more than half — are getting them for prolonged periods. That's just bad practice. They have serious consequences.
February 26/18 — Challenging the new hype about antidepressants.
January 4/18 — Additional research confirms the association of hip fractures with benzo use. Some studies show increased risk in short term users (worstpills.org: subscription-based).
January 4/18 — Antipsychotics can cause vocal cord damage.
Older stories are archived on the Older Stories page.
Read our disclaimer:
- PMAG does not provide individual advice or respond to individual requests for assistance.
- We encourage you to seek qualified medical support.
Antidepressants in Children and Adolescents
Our Children at Risk
There is increasing use of higher potency drugs prescribed to our children than ever before. These drugs have serious side effects which can be misinterpreted by the family or doctor.
This site has two related articles:
- One social worker has voiced her concern in this statement: Increasingly potent psychiatric drugs prescribed to children in Canada.
- Read about Citalopram (Celexa) in children and adolescents for depression: What we knew and when.
Antidepressants and Violence
Navy-yard Shooter Aaron Alexis's past fell just short of raising alarm.
- Aaron Alexis was on the antidepressant Trazodone at the time of the shootings.
- The timelines and his calm, organized behaviour are well aligned with someone experiencing an antidepressant-induced psychotic episode:
- Aug 23 — prescribed Trazodone for insomnia.
- Aug 28 — still not sleeping, dosage increased.
- Sept 14 — practiced shooting with shotgun and purchased shotgun.
- Sept 16 — shooting.
- The FDA has several reports on the connection between Trazodone and homicide.
See the violence category at RxISK.org.
SSRI Stories has 5000+ news articles documenting antidepressant-induced violence and bizarre behavior.
Updated: July 19, 2018